Wednesday 20 February 2013

Unit 54 Agenda

Agenda

Old wave of music: I looked at music from the past to start off with from the 60’s to 80’s. Bands like The Sex Pistols and Pink Floyd. The rebellious teenager on the album cover was something I immediately thought of when looking at the Sex Pistols because of their look and cultural influence they had on people at the time. This was something which influenced me to do the graffiti on the wall. The ‘God save the queen’ banner is now iconic and remembered for being not just rebellious, but openly is mocking the royals. The look of the band at the time also was a big influence. They wore leather and denim which has become more and more popular as the years went on. I decided to make the character spray painting on the front cover of the album wear demin and leather to run in with the theme.



This was an influence for the spray paint on the wall but also the background. Michael Jackson’s Off the Wall album is also now iconic because of the King of Pop’s iconic music but clothing also. The writing is typical spray paint and the wall in the background looks dark and dirty, which made Jckson even more popular. This was only a slight influence for me but it reminded me a someone rebelling against a system which they couldn’t take anymore.

The final influence I had was Pink Floyd’s The Wall, which is an obvious influence. The background to my to my album reminded me of the album straight away. I didn’t copy it, I just made my own version of a wall which clearly is influences from Pink Floyd’s 1979 album.

With all these past influences, it made me think about their music. They are all different genres of music but all have influenced today’s music. The music of this time have made everyone that makes music today.

New wave of music: The band I am doing the research for is The Vaccines so I had to look at their music and albums. The Vaccines first album was acclaimed and has heavily influenced from many bands from the 50’s to 80’s. Their quick lyrics and fast tempo has already been compared to the Ramones as well as many other bands.

Their second album was where they really shined though when they brought a completely different genre to the library. They felt a lot more 50’s/60’s style than their original indie anthems. But it was a nice change and they received even more popularity. Their albums were both in my research along with many others in the same genre. The Wombats, Jake Bugg, Mumford and Sons, all bands which fall under the same catogory as indie rock so researching them was not a problem. All of these bands have influences from bands of the past and that’s what made me think of the theme for my album cover. Why not just make it a little old fashioned? So I did, using clear influence from old and new to create a cover which links with both.

No comments:

Post a Comment