Wednesday 20 February 2013

Feeback from my animation

Feedback from my animation

How I would get feedback from my animation


Getting feedback on your own work is just another task for you to perform. You need to get your work in front of other people’s eyes so they can view it and give their opinion. Just finishing your work and hoping someone sees it isn’t good enough, you have to try and try till you get feedback. To start off with, the easiest and simplest thing to do is to put the animation onto YouTube. Millions and millions people visit the site every day to look at new and old videos; this is a perfect place to get feedback. Everyone has their own opinion on YouTube and feels like they’re god’s gift to the world so I expect someone to bring some feedback. But sometimes, people might watch the video but not comment or like the video to give me feedback. I will still leave the ident on YouTube to wait for feedback (if ever I get any) and then I will update my feedback with the comments from YouTube.
Another way is through interactive face to face. This is the quickest method in my opinion which gives you instant feedback instead of messing about with technology. Obviously I can’t just go up to a person and say, ‘what do you think of my animation?’ First of all they haven’t even seen the animation and they can’t just write feedback on a white blank piece of paper. They will need certain questions that you want to know in particularly. This is when it comes to a feedback sheet, which I need to create myself. The feedback sheet needs to have questions about what the animation but also questions about what I want to know for my own personal reasons. I want the questions that I have in my head about the animation to be answered so I will put them on the feedback sheet. But that just doesn’t cut it yet, its missing the final element; I actually have to show the animation to an audience. Now, this isn’t hard to show to audience because being in a media class it’s quite easy to present it to everyone, and get feedback immediately. So this way is very easy.
The final way I could get feedback is pushing it in my opinion. Don’t get me wrong, it’s possible, but I just don’t myself getting feedback at all through this method. Now, I thought of sending my animation to a few companies and places which might want to see it. I know straight up that my animation is nothing special, but I think that’s what makes it special. So, I thought of sending it to companies like Sky to see if I get any feedback. I know this is not likely to happen, but it is still worth a complete try. Other places were channels like Channel 4 (I thought of Channel 4 straight away because they are always looking for new original ideas which are like nothing else) and MTV (which is another where they are always looking for new talent to reach out to). I plan to do this method by emailing all of the companies through their appropriate email addresses but I don’t expect any feedback anytime soon.

Feedback


I got my feedback back, and my first impression was nothing like I expected. When I finished my animation I was quite proud of it. It was simple yet explained everything that happens with a colourful bang. But once, I gave it in I regretted it. I don’t even know why; I think it was because I thought it looked to childish and simple to be taken serious as a genuine. So when I got my feedback I expected the worst straight away. That my animation was meant for a ‘younger audience’ and they didn’t ‘get it’. But no; it was all great feedback.

I first put my animation onto YouTube to get feedback. I didn’t expect any feedback but I did in fact, I got feedback straight away within an hour, just off one person on YouTube though. The user named ‘AllysonKu55’ says “Can you say AWESOME! I can’t believe that your video isn’t getting more vieWs, Ӏ mean come on people! It almost makes me angry that videos this good haven’t gotten the views they deserve.”

I know what you’re thinking; just appalling at putting sentences together but I just read it as it was. Now this is feedback obviously, but it’s not the feedback I was hoping for to be honest. The user didn’t say anything productive that can help me turn this into feedback, he just liked the animation and got angry because I wasn’t generating more views. So very much a pointless exercise, but at least I got feedback.

The next way of getting feedback was through my class. All of my class watched my animation all at the same time and I gave them feedback sheets which I created myself. These are the questions I put on the sheet:

1: Do you think my animation is creative?

If no, what could I have done to make the animation more creative?

2: I wanted to make my animation as simple as possible because I believe big budget idents are pointless. Would you say my animation is simple to understand?

Explain why…

3: I decided to make my ident for Sky Arts, so I chose a different target audience. What age group do you think I am attracting with my ident?

(Boxes of different choices were shown for my class to choice)

Explain why…

On every single feedback sheet that I got back, every one said that they thought my animation was creative, so this was positive feedback straight away. This meant nobody thought it could be more creative which I disagreed with to be honest. Even I thought the animation could have been more creative. Second question again was answered with the same answer as ‘yes’ to being simple to understand. But I added the extra ‘explain why’ to get more feedback. This is how I would get answers from individual people instead of just the same answer on each page; that doesn’t give me any progress for my report. Each person in my class had something different to say but it mostly interpreted to the same thing. The animation was simple to follow and effective in its use, it mainly did what it was trying to achieve; not be big and visually stunning, but simple and linking with the channel that I am working for. This was another positive outcome from the feedback sheet which I was really happy about, mainly because my class had got what I was trying to achieve with animation. The final question was where it got mixed and I the answers became interesting. From the feedback, some of my class mates thought that I was trying to make the ident appeal more towards a younger audience so they will be interested in Sky Arts, some thought it was heading towards a teenage audience but most thought it was towards an adult audience with the channel being Sky Arts. All of the answers were positive to me because it meant that different people had different ideas about the ident, which I was trying to achieve. I liked this. Finally everyone’s answer was the last thing to read through. With the text box, I made my class write a couple of sentences to explain why they chose the category they chose in the boxes. This was a half and half sided answers. Half the answers were saying that the ident was very simple which made it very retro, which is what Sky Arts tries to do. So the ident works quite well at hitting at the target audience I was trying to achieve. The other half of the answers were because of it being a cartoon and very basic, it points towards a younger audience, which is okay it reaches out to adults alike, but it’s hitting at children and teenagers. So the answers were very mixed. Overall, my class mates were agreeable with what I was out to achieve which was create a retro ident which was basic enough to be made on Adobe Flash. I achieved my goal but also hit another, which was a hit another target audience which is a younger audience.
I never received any more feedback from any other sources like Sky, Channel 4 (which I wasn’t expecting) but I also didn’t get any feedback from any social messaging sites that I use either. I put the ident on sites like Twitter and Facebook as soon as I finished, but no feedback was given, but it doesn’t matter, I have enough feedback to go on.
To conclude then, my animation received the feedback that I was hoping for and more. My feedback said that my animation was a success with achieving what I was trying to aim for in the first place, and aiming for a younger audience too, which is something I wasn’t even trying to do, which is even better. So overall, very successful feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment